Thursday, April 8, 2021

A Broken Promise Inside My Eyeballs

 


A Broken Promise Inside My Eyeballs

 This song has a weird origin. I was talking to my unconscious the other day about why my night vision has suddenly gotten really bad, and the owl in the picture told me it was cuz a broken promise is inside my eyeballs. 

I found out later that the broken promise has to do with man agreeing to ask nature for permission to do stuff with our opposable thumbs, when we acquired opposable thumbs. Like, we're supposed to ask: "Is it okay to chop down this tree to make a house?" We'd agreed to ask nature before doing stuff like that. But we broke that promise years ago. That broken promise landed inside my eyeballs and gave me bad night vision.

The lyrics are:

My eyeball has a broken promise inside it; it
makes the feelings gray, in a candle that's unlit

Something's wrong with me; what it is, I cannot see
Through the darkest night; what about me is not right

I got only just the vaguest feeling in my gut - I'm
Ashes burned to dust; or maybe I am just a butt

Something's wrong with me; what it is, I cannot see
Through the darkest night; what about me is not right


My eyeballs have a broken promise
That's why I fall on the flor and on this
Surface that has a tripping hazard
My night vision is growing backwards
Bad night vision, and I think it needs fixin'
Down a river, that some people call Styx. I'm in-
side a light bulb that's dead as a door nail
There's no light, because there's a power fail-
ure and the whole neighborhood is blacked out
I guess maybe we might as well sack out
There's no TV and everything is dark
As a band whose name is Linkin Park

My eyeball has a broken promise inside

Here's the alternative player thingy, in case the one up top doesn't work on your portable electronic device:


Oh, crikey, the mix I did last night had a wee bit o' distortion in the vocals, so I remixed it this morning. Poop - the distortion is still there, but not as bad. I gotta be diligent about making the gain not too high when I do the vocal poopy recordings. Anyway, here's the slightly improved remix:

No comments: