Thursday, September 15, 2022

Owl Death-Song

 

Owl Song

 There was a couple great horned owls hooting outside my window last night, and they woke me up. I grabbed my iPad to record 'em. They're really bad quality recordings, as you'll soon find out cuz I stuck 'em in the beginning of the song. This song's about how lotta indigenous people around here consider owls to omens of death, and what that implies for my hearin' 'em last night. 

The lyrics are:

The owl came; it's a signifier of death, but that's okay

The owl is a signifier of death, but I don't care
Maybe it's telling me I'll breathe my last breath, but I don't care

I don't care, I don't care, I don't care about death

I heard them hooting in a nearby tree, but that's okay
Are they saying death is coming for me? Well, that's okay

The Lakota and Omaha and Cheyenne and Fox and Ojibwa and Menominee and Creek people
Consider the owl to be a death omen
In the middle of the night, hoots were spoken
Outside of my window at midnight
Oh, my, I listened through the moonlight
I don't know if that means I'm dying
If so, soon my friends will be crying

The owl is a signifier of death, but I don't care
Maybe it's telling me I'll breathe my last breath, but I don't care

I don't care, I don't care, I don't care about death 

No comments: