Sunday, April 24, 2022

I'm Scared of the Rain

 


Scared of the Rain

 I woke up in the wee hours of Friday morning with rain coming down all thunderously. It freaked me out, even though that kind of thing didn't used to freak me out. But in 2016, there was a big rain storm, and, around 1am, I woke up to this weird, rhythmic "doonk, doonk, doonk" sound. Water was coming through a hole in my ceiling and hitting one of my drums. There were a bunch of leaks in the roof, as it turned out! Like, 3 or 4 in the bedroom and 1 in the living room. The landlord fixed the roof, but I've been nervous when there's a rainstorm ever since then. That's what this song's about. 

The lyrics are:

I'm scared of the rain; I'm scared of the rain; I'm scared, scared, of the rain

It's comin' down in April showers, and it will create May flowers
Do we bring the flowers home?
It is coming down in sheets, with puddles forming at my feet
Will we bring the flowers home?

I'm scared of the rain; I'm scared of the rain; I'm scared, scared, of the rain

It will make a muddy mess, but getting water is what's best
Should we bring the flowers home?
Water that will make the plants around us want to sing and dance
Should we bring the flowers home?

I used to not be scared of the rain, then
One year a stupid thing had to happen
At one AM I woke up to someone
Playing my drums – what??? Who is this someone?
No, it was was water drops coming from the ceiling
They landed right on top of my drums, and with feeling
The rain was playing my drums, it was playing my drums, the rain was playing my drums
The rain was playing my drums, was playing my drums, the rain was playing my drums
There was a puddle underneath the drum set
The puddle spread around and made my rugs wet

I'm scared of the rain; I'm scared of the rain; I'm scared, scared, of the rain

Here's the alternative little player thingy in case you need it:

No comments: