Saturday, October 14, 2023

I Don't Know How to Live in This World, Version 2


I think I recorded the first version of this song 2 weeks ago. My memory fails me these days. In any event, I kept on thinking, "I like this song and all, but something is missing from the lyrics." Like, I kept singing about bein' smart in the other place and dumb in this place. I kinda felt like I could make my lyrics deeper and, how do I say it? Less specific or something? Like, make it more open ended and introducing the possibility that I might be an alien, but stating it just as a possibility and not as a known fact. So I did a sadder version, lyrics-wise, but the tempo makes it more peppy and upbeat.

The peppy, upbeat nature of the tempo and the presence of banjo and cats counter-balances the depresso-nature of the lyrics, and makes for a song that might be good to listen to when one is depressed. The tempo might be cheering-up-worthy, but the lyrics make it not-a-bubblegum-song, cuz bubblegum-songs are obnoxious when you're depressed.

Note, I did this picture for one of the earlier versions of this song, and as you can tell, in the intervening time, between when I initially drew it and now, I wrote a bunch of rap lyrics for another song to the side of the picture. Poopity poop.


No comments: