Thursday, April 9, 2020

We Have A Job



We have a job mix 2

In this song, the girl is looking for jobs and finds the help-wanted sign at Bob's gas station. (See below, if you're unfamiliar with this project.) Not only does she get a job, working there for Bob, but Bob also offers one to her friend (and he takes it). Now they're really happy cuz 1. they're no longer at that fucked up school, 2. they have jobs, and 3. Bob is a real nice boss.

This is what last week's song sounds like if you play it backwards:


The lyrics are:
I want a job right now, but I do not know how
They didn’t teach us the / way to get one
And all is said and done, we’ve graduated from
A school that made us dumb, what the fuck is to come

Then I saw the sign, / it’s saying / now they’re hiring / (so) I’m inquiring
He seems really nice / he owns the … gas station / and he seems patient

He said he’s hiring twice / d’ya have a friend who’s nice?
I said, indeed, I do / I’ll tell him all about you
My mind’s no longer blue / I can’t believe it’s true
I got a job to do / my friend’ll be there, too

And now we’re here, working at a job
And we don’t have no more fear, now we work for Bob
He is nice, we have seen, he has never gotten mean
We eat rice, and some beans, in the lunchroom that is clean
And we pump the gas inside the station, we are getting good
We’re not stumped, no more class, there’s a paycheck, we can buy some food
No more school, we don’t have any more class
It is cool now we are friendly with gas


One day, I started writing a song about a fucked up school. Then, a few days later, that lawsuit came out, involving those pervy professors in the Dartmouth Department of Psychological and Brain Sciences. I was all, oh, my stars!!! That’s where I got my Ph.D.! Then I finished writing the song about a week later. I thought it was just a song about how the school system fucks up kids, but after I finished writing and recording it, I realized parts of it were about my experiences in that poopy psych department (the unconscious mind works in mysterious ways). In any event, I decided to write an album about a fucked up school in order to process my experiences of having been in that department and how the culture there impacted me. This album ain’t necessarily about Dartmouth, per se. It’s more of a weird, inner exploration where I’m, like, having a fucked up dialogue with my unconscious about my experiences at Dartmouth. Jung used to call that kind of stuff “active imagination.” So far, this album follows the story of a girl, whose guardian angels try to protect her, but often can't find her. The angels at some point decide that they have to protect the girl from those nasty teachers and start to plot against them. But then they realize they don’t want to actually harm the teachers, so they, instead, make the teachers’ brains into nature brains ™, which are basically brains that hear communications coming from nature spirits. The angels do this because they think it’ll give those teachers more empathy, and will, in turn, be nice to the students.  After the teachers receive those nature brains, they go crazy because a mountain starts speaking to them, and the numinosity of that experience is too much for them to handle. As graduation approaches, the girl and her friend get more and more nervous about not having a job afterwards, so they turn to beer to help them cope with their anxiety. In the meantime, the guardian angels locate a man, named Bob, who owns a gas station and can give the girl a job.

No comments: