Friday, February 2, 2018

Backwards Version of High Tonight (The First Song of "The Space Between Songs")



This is the first of the posts of the new album. (There's an even newer one that I'm working on right now, but it might suck).

See, okay, this new album is the songs that are supposed to go between the songs of the album I posted last week. As I was working on it, I realized it needed explainy stuff between the songs that were on there. Y'know how operas and stuff have songs that go between the arias that explain shit? Usually those songs suck. I tried to challenge myself to do those same types of songs but not make them suck.

I dunno if it ended up being problematic, though, because some of these songs ended up sounding kinda aria-ish. I mean, I dunno if it's a good idea to have so many emotional climaxes in a row and not have plain stuff in between, even if plain stuff tends to suck. And then, ontop of that, I still need to put the 2 albums together and see if the plot needs further explaining, or if it stands alone without the need for lots of liner notes. We'll see. In any event. this new album's called "The Space Between Songs." Actually, I think that might be the title of a Dead Milkmen song, but I'm not sure.

BACKHIGH
Here's the backwards version of the first song on the new album (that song's called "High Tonight.") You actually heard the frontwards version if you tuned in on October 6, 2017, because I was all impulsive and posted it. I put "High Tonight" at the bottom this post so you don't have to scroll backwards in this blog in order to hear it.

Fuck, this was challenging to record because the lyrics are so fast. See, I was attempting to rap when I recorded "High Tonight," but I ultimately ended up just singing this song in a monotone, because I thought my spoken word voice sounded like shit. If you stay tuned for the rest o' the album, you'll get to see how my white-girl-attempts at rapping evolve over time. (You can be the judge of whether it sucks or not).

Here's the song above, if you turn it around. I got closer to the original song than I thought I would, given the challenging nature of it. I mean, I wish I'd gotten closer, but just the fact that it bears a passing resemblance to the original one was a relief to me.

And, finally, here's the original song. It's from the point of view of Corky, as he's going to meet his friends at this abandoned house, so they can all smoke pot together. Unfortunately, they're not there, and instead, there're these mean guys there, who ultimately end up killing Corky. (See "I Am Dead" in last week's entry if you wanna hear the song that's the aftermath of him getting killed).

For anyone new to this blog, the album I'm discussing is based on the movie, Skins. (Spoiler Alert)... It follows this character, Corky Red Tail, into the afterlife cuz he gets murdered in the beginning of the movie. Then he's joined by Mogie and Verdell, who both die of alcoholism in one way or another. The three of them work together to try to get a message to Corky's mom that he's okay in the afterlife. The most likeliest candidate to do that is Rudy, Mogie's brother, because all three of them knew Rudy when they were alive, so they're all connected to him in one way or another.

No comments: