Friday, May 26, 2023

Forget How Many Plays You Get

 

Forget How Many Plays You Get

 Okay, yeah. I mean, yes. My music this year had been sucking balls. 2021 and the first part of 2022 were my Golden Ages of Music. I dunno if I'll ever get mojo like that back again. But I realized about a month ago that, not only did my more recent music have no mojo in it, but it also had no soul in it, either. It had no heart. I wasn't "singing it the way I feel it," the way Robert Duvall said in Tender Mercies. So, with the intention to sing it the way I feel it, my last couple songs ended up having more me in them. They ended up having more soul in them.

On top of the badness of recent months, I've gotten all weird about how many plays my songs get. I used to get a lot more, cuz the songs were better, back in the day. Going through a writer's block is bad enough, but worrying about how many plays your music gets kills creativity. It just cuts it short, when you start to think about whether people'll like this or that tune or whatever.

So, that's what this song's about; it's about how I was gettin' hung up on how many plays my sucky songs would get, which made them even more sucky than they'd've been if I hadn't been worrying about how many plays they'd get.

No comments: