Thursday, January 30, 2020

Relationship With A Sinking Ship



Relationship with a sinking ship mix 2

The students' states of morale have gotten so low,  because they now know that a degree from their dumb, famous school won't get them anywhere. As a result, they start to feel as if they are sinking ships. In a sense, they're turning into sinking ships because they're in favor of drinking lots and lots of beer to cope with their poopy feelings about the upcoming graduation. I mean, drinking beer ain't a bad thing, per se, but there's a chance they might be overdoing it to the point that they're making themselves into sinking ships.

But it's also possible that they're just fine and they only just feel like sinking ships. Like, maybe they just feel guilty about all that beer they're drinking, but they're really not all that sinking-ship-ish. (See below if you're unfamiliar with this project.)

The part about a stuffed porcupine came from a dream. It's only just recently that I started getting raps from dreams (but have been getting other types of music from dreams for quite some time).

Here's last week's song, if you turn it around backwards:


The lyrics are:
Keep you in the clear, so you’re running out of time
Breathing bitter fear in the sun that lost its shine

My relationship to the sinking ship
I will stay with it, with a drinking fit

I got inside a car with a stuffed porcupine
It’s a sign that I’m running out of time
I’m feeling pain, my eyes are singing rain
The truth of it, don’tcha see
Is meant to set us free
On the day graduation’s here,
there’s no celebration, but we’ll race to find a beer
And we pray in the wasting fear,
but no jobs are waiting for us and the time is near
We feel stupid in the rain from eyes that sing their pain in tears,
we feel dumb let’s go get some beers
Drinking heavily today makes our minds go away oh dear,
we feel dumb, graduation’s near

drinking bitter beer at the end of frozen time / sinking in the fear that I sent the ghost a sign

My relationship with the capsized ship / I will stay with it, and the captain’s shit


One day, I started writing a song about a fucked up school. Then, a few days later, that lawsuit came out, involving those pervy professors in the Dartmouth Department of Psychological and Brain Sciences. I was all, oh, my stars!!! That’s where I got my Ph.D.! Then I finished writing the song about a week later. I thought it was just a song about how the school system fucks up kids, but after I finished writing and recording it, I realized parts of it were about my experiences in that poopy psych department (the unconscious mind works in mysterious ways). In any event, I decided to write an album about a fucked up school in order to process my experiences of having been in that department and how the culture there impacted me. This album ain’t necessarily about Dartmouth, per se. It’s more of a weird, inner exploration where I’m, like, having a fucked up dialogue with my unconscious about my experiences at Dartmouth. Jung used to call that kind of stuff “active imagination.” So far, this album follows the story of a girl, whose guardian angels try to protect her, but often can't find her. The angels at some point decide that they have to protect the girl from those nasty teachers and start to plot against them. But then they realize they don’t want to actually harm the teachers, so they, instead, make the teachers’ brains into nature brains ™, which are basically brains that hear communications coming from nature spirits. The angels do this because they think it’ll give those teachers more empathy, and will, in turn, be nice to the students.  After the teachers receive those nature brains, they go crazy because a mountain starts speaking to them, and the numinosity of that experience is too much for them to handle. In the meantime, the girl and her friend are getting more and more nervous about graduation approaching and not having jobs; so they turn to beer to help them cope with their anxiety.

No comments: