Friday, December 14, 2018

Song About A Fucked Up School



SCHOOL01
Shit, this song has a long story to it, a story that dates back to the early 2000s.

'Kay, see, one night, I got the first verse of the song from a dream. I was all, oh, it's a song about a fucked up school. Then about a week later, I found out that not only the school, but the academic department where I got my Ph.D., were in the news for something really bad.

But, I'm dumb and slow on the uptake, not realizing my unconscious mind had been psychic in coming up with this song. (Y'know, anticipating my school's fucked up academic department being in the news and writing a song about a fucked up school). (I'm not sure if I'm gonna mention the name of the school or not. I gotta examine my motives before I reveal what school it was). Yeah, I was slow on the uptake, not realizing this song was all psychic, and as such, I thought I was writing a song about how the school system fucks up kids.

But then, when I listened to it later that night, I realized, oh shit, this song's about Dartmouth! (Whoops, there, I named it). (That's where I went to school, yesiree).

(I mean, okay, Dartmouth doesn't have a principal telling people not to run in halls [see lyrics below]. I think the principal-man is a metaphorical principal. Yeah, that's what it is - he's a metaphorical principal.)

As a result of this weird song synchronicity and the stuff in the news, I've been thinking a lot about having been in a fucked up department and how that might have impacted me, psychologically. I mean, nothing incredibly bad happened to me while I was there, but I also can point to ways in which being there wasn't good for me.

As a result of all this thinking and stuff, I decided to write an album about a fucked up school and base it on the department where I got that old Ph.D. of mine. I dunno how long this album'll be. Yeah, I'm not sure. Poopity pooops.

Weird School Song
This is last week's song if you turn it around backwards.

The lyrics are:

The Beast has come / the day is done
The school got rules / and I think they’re dumb
The school has turned / you into gas
Oh fuck you’re burned / Now it’s time for class

And the principal is here / telling us the rules are clear
Do not run inside the halls / in these hallowed sacred walls

I do not want to go to school
It’s the land where they have made up some stupid dumb rules
Where they bleed your brain dry, and it makes you want to cry
And they fill your head with lies, so you’re stupid till you die
Joy to the world if the school had burned down
It’s a stupid dumb fantasy that takes away your frown
But the truth is that it goes the other way around
The school has burned you down to the ground

The school has turned / you into ash
Oh fuck, you’re burned / in just one flash


And the principal is here / telling us the rules are clear
Do not run inside the halls / in these hallowed sacred walls

No comments: