Thursday, December 20, 2018

Asian Sounding Backwards Song




This is the backwards version of the next song in the series of songs about a fucked up school. This song ended sounding kind of Asian sounding. I guess the forwards-version is kinda Asian sounding, too, but my ears hear the backwards version as being even more Asian sounding. The picture above is my attempt to draw something Asian looking.

Some people might be wondering why there are so many English words in the backwards raps. It's cuz rapping backwards is really hard. The process of figuring out the backwards raps involves me listening to them over and over and over and over until my brain starts to hallucinate them in English. Let me unpack that a little bit.

With the regular parts of the songs, I figure out backwards pronunciations of the words by pronouncing them backwards. For example, the word "like" translates to "kyall." So, I translate stuff, and then I listen to the songs-turned-around-backwards in Audacity - to make sure it matches what I came up with, and revise as needed.

With the rapping, the speech stream is so fast that it would be almost impossible to pronounce the phonetically derived words because they're too tongue twistery. But, when you listen to the backwards raps over and over and over, a peculiar thing happens to your brain that makes performing the raps more do-able.

See, when I listen to them, my brain starts to hallucinate the backwards raps in English. I guess that sounds a little psychotic, but I think it's sort of a normal process - brains have a tendency to interpret ambiguous stimuli on the basis of what they already know.  Like if you're listening to nonsense syllables, your brain is gonna try to make them into English cuz that's what your brain knows - if you're an English speaker, that is. So, as a result of repeated listenings, my brain starts to hear English words in the rapid stream of nonsense syllables. Shit, I cain't tell if I'm explaining this adequately.

See, okay - the original lyrics of part of the rap are as follows:
It is the story of the guardian angels / who lost their charge in the land of the skulls

This is how I would interpret them backwards on the basis of phonetics:
slucks uth vuh dna'l uth nih groch reth tsall ooH / sledge-nya neh-y-drog uth vuh eerotes uth zih tih

But when I listened to the backwards rap over and over, I heard this (which is easier to pronounce):
lucks like the man would make George grapes all oose / loosh nay he broke them vuh yer oats specific 

No comments: