Tuesday, February 18, 2020

They're Putting Me To Sleep



I'm reposting this song, cuz now I have a backwards version and a backwards-turned-around version I can play for you guys. Yesiree.

In any event, if you haven't read last week's post, this is a song from the point of a view of an old dog being put to sleep because of being in failing health. The rap part has a bunch of stuff about spirits coming to get the doggy when s/he dies, so I included that in the picture. I mean, the dudes coming to get the dog are angels, and that might be a different thing than spirits, in general. But, then again, if I was dying, I'd be on board with those particular angels coming to get me because they're really nice. They're the same angels as the ones in the school album.

I've heard lots of stories about people dying and seeing the spirits of people who've already passed coming to get them. I think that happens for dogs and cats, too.

Here's the backwards version of the song.

Here's the backwards version of it, turned around. I tweaked the timing of the vocals, relative to the timing of the rhythm track, just a teeny tiny bit, to make things match up.

The lyrics are:
I am an old dog, and I think I’m dying
And my mind’s a fog, cannot find my kite string
They took me to the vet for one final visit
Now the sun has set, will I fly up to it?

They’re putting me to sleep; what will it be like on the other side of things?
Pray my soul to keep; fuck it is the time; fly me up on Heaven’s wings

Everyone got sad, and I see them crying
But my health is bad, and it’s time for dying
I am an old dog – hope I go to Heaven
Fly me from this fog, with a voice eleven

They’re putting me to sleep; what will it be like on the other side of things?
Pray my soul to keep; fuck it is the time; fly me up on Heaven’s wings

Is it fading away? My life is getting done
In the shade of the day, I cry to the setting sun
I’m a dog with a shot that makes me fly away
From this fog, it’s a lot; it takes my pain away
Do I hear the spirits that are knocking at my door?
They are really nice to come and get me, oh Dear Lord
They have come to get me, I remember how it was
The last time I was set free and we got on Heaven’s Bus

No comments: