Thursday, May 16, 2019

Next Day / Maybe They'll Know How It Might Have Happened



In the song from 2 weeks ago, the main character (see below if you're unfamiliar with this song-series) and her good friend get drunk in the bathroom and decide it would be a good idea to burn the school down. In this song, it's the next day, and the characters wake up with wicked hangovers. In their hung-over state, they realize burning down the school is a really, really, really, really bad idea. Then they feel stupid, like many people with hangovers tend to feel, not only because of drinking too much, but for considering that idear.

Weird know how or next day
This is last week's song if you turn it around backwards.

The lyrics are:
Boring in the pouring morning / Hangovers are forming storming
What was it that we were thinking / on the night of stupid drinking?

We all feel so dumb  /  now the next day’s come

If the teachers caught us burning  / down the school of stupid learning
It would be the dawn of trouble / ashes in the smoke and rubble

We all feel so dumb  /  now the next day’s come

Maybe they’ll know how it might have happened

Things that sound really good to you when you’re drinking with your friends
Become(s) a really nifty plan but the hangover makes it end
How could we be stupid enough to want to burn the whole school down?
It became a bad idea when morning came around

One day, I started writing a song about a fucked up school. Then, a few days later, that lawsuit came out, involving those pervy professors in the Dartmouth Department of Psychological and Brain Sciences. I was all, oh, my stars!!! That’s where I got my Ph.D.! Then I finished writing the song about a week later. I thought it was just a song about how the school system fucks up kids, but after I finished writing and recording it, I realized parts of it were about my experiences in that poopy psych department (the unconscious mind works in mysterious ways). In any event, I decided to write an album about a fucked up school in order to process my experiences of having been in that department and how the culture there impacted me. This album ain’t necessarily about Dartmouth, per se. It’s more of a weird, inner exploration where I’m, like, having a fucked up dialogue with my unconscious about my experiences at Dartmouth. Jung used to call that kind of stuff “active imagination.” So far, this album follows the story of a girl, whose guardian angels try to protect her, but often can't find her.

No comments: