Thursday, July 20, 2017

Chester Bennington / Urrdknow


I'm posting a picture of really sad guys because I found out about Chester Bennington dying today. Oh, holy fuck, I'm sad. Linkin Park has been my favorite band since 2013. Fuckity fuck. This new album I'm working on? All the songs on it have samples from Linkin Park songs in the little electronic loop thingies I make. I've been thinking it was kind of funny that this album employs a combination of samples from the movie, Skins, and from the band, Linkin Park, because the 2 seem unrelated. The only relationship between the 2 is that one's my favorite band and the other's my favorite movie.

Now I'm all sad. I mean, ever since I started listening to Linkin Park, I've always thought, "I wonder what their next album is going to sound like." It's so fucked up to think that there're not going to be any more albums with Chester Bennington singing on them. It's so fucked up to think about Chester Bennington not being here any more. I'm still in a state of stunned disbelief because I only found out an hour and a half ago.

So I got a picture of sad dudes. They're the characters in one of the graphic novels I'm working on. Shit, I was going to say that the only connection between the dudes in the picture and Chester Bennington's death is the fact that the dudes are sad. But now that I'm thinking of it...guess what music I listen to when I'm working on those graphic novels? Linkin Park. I put 'em on my itunes and let it scramble the music up, so I hear Linkin Park songs all day long in random order.

Shit, it's so fucked up. I mean, really? It's always sad to find out about some great musician dying. But it's extra special fucked up to find out that it's the lead singer in your favorite band in all the world. Fuckity fuck.

Anyway, here's the song for this week. As usual, it's me performing next week's song backwards. Yup, the loop thingy on it is Linkin Park. I think it was from one of the songs on Recharged. I took that sample and played around with the pitch so it made a weird melody. Actually, the sample is backwards because this is a backwards song week. But next week, you'll get to hear the forwards version.

 I took an excerpt from the original song I derived this song from (but played backwards). (Or, like, this is a snippet of next week's song, played backwards). Here's why. Every once in a while, when I turn my songs around backwards in Audacity or Sound Edit, in order to figure out how to perform 'em backwards, some of the vocals sound like they're in English. There's a bit of that taking place in this excerpt.

See, I got the original song from a dream. In the dream, I was playing one of my regular songs that had been turned around backwards in Audacity or SoundEdit. And it had these haunting-sounding words in English comin' out. I woke up and wrote down the song. It was wild, because when I played the regular song backwards, I found that this stretch had the same feeling as that dream. It's like the dream sorta came true.

No comments: